What is PhotoAlbum.js ?
It is a small side-project I have started a month ago to show pictures taken during my holidays. I could have used one of the many web sites that exist just for that purpose but I prefer to host my own content.
I had 2 main goals:
- generate a static website: I use a very small server and I do not want it to be overloaded by php/node.js/ruby/… generating web pages. This is the same concept I use for this blog.
- be able to write a legend about each picture.
- infinite scrolling of the pictures: load more thumbnails as you scroll the page,
- the legend can be written using markdown,
- have a timer in the diaporama or change images as you like,
- use the html5 history API in the diaporama to make the experience more natural,
- an editor to write those legends and sort or remove images,
I wrote a small demo using pictures from photos-public-domain.com:
You can find the code on github.
The code uses the following Node.js modules:
It also uses:
I am currently happy with the state of my photo album generator. There are still few things that can be improved/added:
- use some web-font to improve the look,
- play a bit more with exif data: I wanted to put a location mark in diaporama mode for pictures having some GPS data.
- use the EFL instead of imagemagick to speed things up,
- have some kind of animation when changing images,
- make the diaporama timer more readable,
- preload next image in diaporama mode,
- have a better support for mobile phones: the diaporama UI should be changed.
- IE support :D
- add comments support with disqus and we'll have a flickr clone :)